Re: [Last-Call] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-crocker-inreply-react-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Fri, 2021-03-05 at 15:32 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 3/5/2021 3:07 PM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> > On Fri, 2021-03-05 at 13:52 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
> > > Let's see whether I understand, with an example meant to be more
> > > interesting than the one in the specification:

Your example message had a body text which happened to contain the
string "Content-Disposition".  It was not a header field, so it should
not be handled as such.

> > OK, so processing MAY recurse into the MIME structure?  I don't think
> > the current step 2 allows this.
>
> Yes it does:
>
> > The emoji(s) express a recipient's summary reaction to the
> > specific message referenced by the accompanying In-Reply-To header field,
>
> The In-Reply-To: and Content-Disposition must be 'accompanying' each
> other.  In the same message.

OK, step 1 says:

   1.  If a received message R contains an In-Reply-To: header-field,
       check to see if it references a previous message the MUA has
       sent or received.

So this is not just the top-level message R, but repeated for every
message R contained inside the message.  If you mean R *is* top-level,
and you think recursion is valid, the text should use the plural.

   1.  If a received message R contains In-Reply-To: header-fields,

   check to see if they reference previous messages the MUA has

 sent or received.

But I don't like that.  Better to spell it out.

   1.  If a received message R (or a message contained within it)

 contains an In-Reply-To: header-field,
       check to see if it
references a previous message the MUA has
       sent or received.

>    This can cause duplication in the
> > presentation of reactions,
>
> How?

By getting multiple copies of the same attached thread.  E.g., by
someone replying and including all preceding content.  Hence, the
processing may rack up the same reaction to a message multiple times.
 This is solvable though, and the exact method does not need to be
specified in the draft.

--
venleg helsing,
Kjetil T.