Re: [Last-Call] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-crocker-inreply-react-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 3/5/2021 3:07 PM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
On Fri, 2021-03-05 at 13:52 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 3/4/2021 12:41 AM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
     2.  If R's In-Reply-To: does reference one, then check R's message
         content for a part with a "reaction" Content-Disposition header
         field, at either the outermost level or as part of a multipart
         at the outermost level.

This means a forwarded message will*not*  get its embedded reactions
processed.  Well, forwarded messages will typically not have I-R-T set,
but if a message includes previous correspondence as an attached MIME
document.

Not 'typically'.  A forwarded message is not a reply.

I can forward a message as a reply to a different message (drag and
drop it as an attachment), but the "forward" button in my mail reader
will not do that - it will only set References and not I-R-T.

You mean you can include a message in a reply. That's not typically what is meant by forwarding. But yes, you can do that.

The example in my previous note still applies. The contained message is self-contained and any references inside it are not affected by the containing message. Similar, the contents of the containing message (typically) does not reflect the contained message.

So I'm not sure how this is a problem.

It's not a problem, just an edge case.

Sorry, but so far, I am not seeing how it is even that.

In any event, if there is no In-reply-to: field, then this specification
is not relevant to that message.

There is an In-Reply-To inside the attached message, that's my point.
  It could even be nested further.

So? Again, I am still missing the point.

However, In-reply-to in messages in the attached
correspondence will get their reactions processed if they are at the
correct relative level in the structure.

Let's see whether I understand, with an example meant to be more
interesting than the one in the specification: