Re: [Last-Call] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-crocker-inreply-react-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Wed, 2021-03-03 at 17:50 -0800, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> I would be happy to suggest better wording ... if I knew which to things
> are indicated by the "both" in "both are present".  I think it's two of:
> emoji as the content of a message part, the In-Reply-To header field, the
> and the message conveying the response.  But which two?

Let me take a stab at it.  First the current text in the tracker:

  2.  Reaction Content-Disposition

     A message sent as a reply MAY include a part containing:

[...]
     The emoji(s) express a recipient's summary reaction to the
specific
     message referenced by the accompanying In-Reply-To header field,
for
     the message in which they both are present.  [Mail-Fmt].  For
     processing details, see Section 3.

First I'd like to say - whenever there is a ambiguity in such
introductory text, read the detailed processing instructions to resolve
them.  But I think we can resolve this by replacing "both" with "both
the Reaction part and the In-Reply-To header field".

Sort of unrelated - from the processing instructions:

   2.  If R's In-Reply-To: does reference one, then check R's message
       content for a part with a "reaction" Content-Disposition header
       field, at either the outermost level or as part of a multipart
at
       the outermost level.

This means a forwarded message will *not* get its embedded reactions
processed.  Well, forwarded messages will typically not have I-R-T set,
but if a message includes previous correspondence as an attached MIME
document.  However, In-reply-to in messages in the attached
correspondence will get their reactions processed if they are at the
correct relative level in the structure.

Please correct me if I am wrong, Dave.  If this is *not* the intention,
I think step 1 in the processing instructions need to state this only
applies to I-R-T found at the top level of the message.

--
venleg helsing,
Kjetil T.