Re: [Last-Call] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-crocker-inreply-react-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 3/3/2021 12:20 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 12:10:28PM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
My understanding is that it is intentionally a supported part of the
process for the IESG to be able to receive private feedback.

Ben,

Of course. And as an escape-hatch, for special circumstances, it's an important option.

But when it is used as a means of bypassing public discussion?

Of the two contacts we know about, using that option for this draft, one was not active in the public discussion. Why? The other was, but did not raise these concerns in that forum. Why?

This is important, for an organization with such a profound reliance on open and inclusive participation and accountability.

There is a danger in not asking such 'whys' about people choice, because it has too much potential for creating an image of cronyism and back-room deals.

The IESG or IESG members who receive feedback can do several things with
that feedback, including incorporating the technical points made into their
own ballot positions and asking for public discussion of those technical
points, with or without the direct involvement of the person who submitted
the feedback.

I think there's pretty universal sentiment that getting earlier feedback is
preferred, but I don't think that adding more process is going to cause the
phenomenon of late feedback to disappear.

"Preferred" is a characterization that makes a lot of sense for dealing constructively when someone happens to think of something later.

However I suggest that it is entirely too weak for dealing with folk who are attempting to bypass public discussion, especially when they already have a track record of public participation.

P.S. I think there is still an open (editorial) question regarding "the
message in which they both are present", for which I need more data to be
able to suggest a resolution.

I responded to that point. The wording is the best we -- there was public group discussion on it -- could come up with.

If it is not sufficient, better wording is of course eagerly sought.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking