Re: IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

On 4/3/21 17:45, Keith Moore wrote:
On 3/4/21 3:16 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:

On 4 Mar 2021, at 21:03, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think it makes sense to work on the issues that actually seem to be addressable before working on the issues that do not seem addressible,

But you’re not doing that, Keith.  You are proposing a solution (e.g., rehoming the LLC or its parent) without exploring the problem first.  Have you a single example of where the LLC home was even an issue?

I won't speak for my co-author, but I'm not proposing anything. I'm just trying to get a picture.

Same here.

And as much as I empathize with the desire to be free of US government control, I have no assumptions that it would be easy or even feasible.

FWIW, I'm not, either.

For the most part, I'm still trying to understand how sanctions would/could apply to participants.

i.e., I wished someone could shed light on this:

* Are participants from sanctioned countries or organizations allowed to participate in mailing-list discussions, and e.g. publish Internet-Drafts, or RFCs?

* Could they join fwf meetings? Could they join online meetings? If not, is the limitation associated with payment of the fee, or with something else? Would a fee waiver "solve" this?

Without answers to these basic questions, it's hard to understand/evaluate the problem, let alone try to mitigate it.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks