Re: standards? (was: Registration details for IETF 108)

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > There is another patent even more interesting that has now expired:
    > Micali's fair exchange with invisible trusted third party. This allows
    > Alice to send a message to Bob such that Bob can read it if and only if
    > Bob provides a receipt. The TTP is only involved in the case that Alice
    > defects and does not release the decryption key after Bob signs the
    > receipt.

    > Now replacing SMTP is obviously futile, a non starter. There is too
    > much water under that bridge. But deploying a new open transactional
    > messaging system that is designed for purpose of transactional email is
    > certainly not futile. In fact it is something we clearly need now that
    > the business processes exist that can leverage it.

I want to say two interpretations, and I'd like you to pick one or the other:

1) SMTP in unreplacebale, but (S)MIME format email can be replaced,
   being a different media type across SMTP. (Possibly a new verb
   replacing MAIL To)

2) SMTP as a transport could be augmented with some transactional message
   system, that in the end moved (S)MIME formatted emails.
   This is in much the way that HTTP has reused headers... (but HTTP/2)

    > Oh and the same client has a second factor auth capability, a true end
    > to end password manager and supports management of all your PGP web o'
    > trust by means of in person QR code exchange, among other things.

:-)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-