Re: Registration details for IETF 108

> On 6 Jun 2020, at 05:41, Randy Bush <randy@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Doesn't fix time zones though
>
> let me see if i can push you just a little bit out of the box.  a
> small step.
>
> there are two time slots in the day which work for what i call three
> continent calls, apac, emea/africa, noam/alyc.  each day a different
> wg meets in one of those two slots of *their* choice.  thus the ietf
> 'meeting' is smeared over three months.
>
> rough example.  not adjusted for 'summer' time and other details
>
>    UTC 22:00
>    CET 23:00
>    JST 07:00+1
>    PST 14:00
>    EST 17:00
>
>    UTC 14:00
>    CET 15:00
>    JST 23:00
>    PST 06:00
>    EST 09:00
>
>> which is why primacy of email remains essential IMNSHO.
>
> email is good

Indeed!

Keep pushing.

And this would win us a schedule free of WG meeting clashes, and avoidance of several hundred drafts being published in 24 hours with very little hope of reading the ones that interest you before the WG meeting.

Many WGs are already embracing more frequent online interims, so “smearing” the work is already happening.  The question is whether some structure like the above is preferred, or ad-hoc meetings as and when each WG wants them.

Tim