Re: Registration details for IETF 108

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 3:45 AM Mehmet Ersue <mersue@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 6.  We did not consult on this because there is not enough time for an effective consultation.  It would probably have been worse to have asked people their views and then said sorry we don’t have enough time to change anything..

This is ridiculous as a reason. This is not the usual practice at the IETF I know.
We do discuss openly and develop a consensus after understanding the reasons and consequences.
If it is too late and there is no time to discuss the appropriate decision would be to defer such a new rule on fees.

This seems like entirely appropriate practice on short notice. I would note that the LLC regularly makes decisions which involve a far larger change to people's costs than the fees -- namely, where to site the meeting -- without consultation, so I while I think it would be good for the LLC to get feedback on this topic, I don't think there's inherently an obligation to put it to a community wide call for consensus.

Moreover, as Jason points out, the IETF has charged attendance fees for some time, so one could view this as a decision to *reduce* fees, in light of the virtual status.

-Ekr