Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

Once upon a time, Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> For myself, I think it's reasonable to conclude there's a non-trivial
> amount of people using QEMU on that hardware in some fashion. Much of
> that is probably from podman as opposed to running large virtualized
> environments at this point, but the podman use case is important for a
> lot of people.

Without knowing which CPU models are actually affected, I don't think
it's reasonable to draw any conclusions.

For personal anecdote: my oldest system I still use for anything is a
7-year-old Intel NUC (i5-7260U), and it's actually v3.  My lowest-end
system is a router (not running Fedora); it's a Pentium N6005 and
appears to be v2 (it doesn't use glibc, but I found an awk script that
seems to report it).

So yeah, it may be time to say "okay, we can't run QEMU on the old
systems anymore".  If upstream QEMU is going to make their software v2+
only, that's really the only reasonable conclusion; it is not reasonable
to demand Fedora packagers maintain a patchset or a fork to revert that
change.

But again, knowing what CPU models are what level would bring more
clarity to the effect.  I don't know how to look at say Intel Ark (does
AMD have a similar site?) and determine "this CPU is v3".  IIRC when the
baseline came up before, the only current or recent CPUs that weren't
v2+ were some Intel Atoms.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>