Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 11:44 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 10:51 PM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 1:35 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
> > <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > But it is the ONLY approach that is compatible with Fedora policies, and as
> > > such should be required. ESPECIALLY for a package like QEMU that many people
> > > are using.
> >
> > Please provide your audited (by a 3rd party) data that shows
> > that MANY (i.e. significant percentage of) people on x86_64-v1
> > users have a need for qemu.
> >
> > Those without actual data are simply offering an opinion,
> > and should be dismissed without further consideration.
> >
> > We will all wait for your 3rd party validation of your data.
>
> This isn't a constructive way to have the conversation. As you pointed
> out in an earlier message, no one has this data, so all of us are left
> to take our best guess at it. Let's be respectful to each other about
> it.
>
> For myself, I think it's reasonable to conclude there's a non-trivial
> amount of people using QEMU on that hardware in some fashion. Much of
> that is probably from podman as opposed to running large virtualized
> environments at this point, but the podman use case is important for a
> lot of people.
>
> From the previous times the baseline conversation has happened, I
> suspect that I am more open to raising it than Kevin is, but I agree
> with his general direction here. Absent reliable data, I tend toward a
> conservative approach to dropping hardware support. But there's no
> easy answer here.

If QEMU upstream is *really* set on unconditionally raising their
required x86_64 ISA version, and cannot be convinced that this course
of action would be painful for distributions like Fedora, then I think
we should at least have a self-contained change for the QEMU update
that introduces this change.

Fabio