Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

There have been various change proposals & associated mailing list threads
over the years about the possibility of moving Fedora compiler toolchain
to build with a newer x86_64 baseline ABI, which have ended up rejected,
with some quite strong negative feedback.

Regardless of the Fedora general policy, however, individual packages may
have forced a particular x86_64 baseline ABI through their own CFLAGS
defined by the upstream project.

The context is that QEMU has recently merged changes upstream that force
use of the x86-64-v2 baseline for QEMU, in order get more efficient code
in the TCG emulator. The changes were made in QEMU's global CFLAGS so this
will affect all usage of QEMU, whether KVM, or TCG, for both VMs and user
space emulation (the latter used by podman for non-native containers)

IOW, if [when] we rebase Fedora to the next QEMU upstream release, users
with older x86_64 hardware would likely be unable to run QEMU, from F41
onwards, unless some TBD action is taken.

Thus I'm wondering whether Fedora has any policy or guidance on handling
such a situation both in general, and more specifically for "critical path"
packages, if that difference is relevant ? The packaging guidelines aren't
especially explicit about this situation, unless I've missed something
beyond the "compiler flags" and "architecture support" sections.

With regards,
Daniel