Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 8:41 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The context is that QEMU has recently merged changes upstream that force
> use of the x86-64-v2 baseline for QEMU, in order get more efficient code
> in the TCG emulator. The changes were made in QEMU's global CFLAGS so this
> will affect all usage of QEMU, whether KVM, or TCG, for both VMs and user
> space emulation (the latter used by podman for non-native containers)
>
> IOW, if [when] we rebase Fedora to the next QEMU upstream release, users
> with older x86_64 hardware would likely be unable to run QEMU, from F41
> onwards, unless some TBD action is taken.

Could the answer be "we patch the build to not use the changed FLAGS"?
(Perhaps also creating a qemu-zoomzoom package that's the same as the
regular qemu but with the upstream CFLAGS that people who can take
advantage can install instead)

Neither "Functional" nor "eFficient" are in the Fedora Foundations,
but in general, I think we should prefer the former over the latter.
It's better for the project overall to be a little less efficient than
it could be than to surprise people with "a key package no longer
works on your hardware". It would be better to explicitly move the
entire distro to a higher baseline than to have some packages work and
some not. (I'm not saying now is the time to make that decision, but
it's clear that we should at least have an idea of the conditions
where the switch becomes the right choice)

--
Ben Cotton (he/him)
TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis