Re: F41 Change Proposal: Anaconda as native Wayland application (System Wide)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 01:52:19PM +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Tue, 2024-06-04 at 14:26 +0200, Jiri Konecny wrote:
> > You should be able to install from Live ISO which we are not
> > modifying
> > (depends on environment set by SIG owners). However, we won't support
> > X11 together with Wayland on boot.iso. That would be hard to achieve
> > given to the big amount of changes we are required to do now to
> > support
> > Wayland.
>

> If you can't support X11 together with Wayland on boot.iso , why you
> want move to Wayland ? it is stupid break Linux user experience just
> because Wayland is fancy , what we get with Wayland that we don't get
> with X11 ? if you need remove X11 to add Wayland, don't do it ! . Don't
> break the other Linux user systems . Is difficult understand that you
> should not remove components without agreement of everyone ?
>
> Linux should support all kind of hardware, if Wayland don't, you should
> provide at least fall backs , and not just ignore the others .

Open Source software in general supports a wide variety of use cases and
hardware. The role of most Linux distros, however, is NOT to provide a
solution for every conceivable scenario or hardware or user.

Instead a Linux distro exists to pull together a curated set of software
that best solves the set of goals their distro has. Each Linux distro
will have their own priorities, and make different tradeoffs in choosing
what software to provide & how to configure & use stuff they do provide.

What we're seeing here is that in Fedora, the distro priorities & goals
are taking us down a path of prioritizing Wayland, over X11. This is a
valid decision & direction for Fedora to choose, because it aligns with
our distro mission statement, part of which is to focus on innovation.

At times some users will be left without support for things that previously
worked, and thus be unhappy with the result. That is an unfortunate, but at
the same time, acceptable outcome. Fedora is not trying to cater to every
possible user feature demand, it is trying to optimize for its mission.

The beauty of open source is that users have a choice to distros, and can
select whichever has a mission & deliverables that best satisfy the user's
needs. There will be distros around that aim to support X11 with a higher
priority.

With regards,
Daniel