Re: F41 Change Proposal: Anaconda as native Wayland application (System Wide)

On Tue, 2024-06-11 at 19:48 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2024 14:52:19 CEST Sérgio Basto wrote:
>
> I had enough with you an your attitude. You have been abusing the
> good will
> and temperament of many Fedora contributors for too long. Somebody
> must put a
> stop to your comments and behavior.
>
> > If you can't support X11 together with Wayland on boot.iso , why
> > you
> > want move to Wayland ?
>
> The explanation to this is very clearly explained in the == Detailed
> Description === section

> > it is stupid break Linux user experience just
> > because Wayland is fancy ,
>
> Refrain from calling our actions or (implicitly) our contributors
> _stupid_

I don't want that you deduce that.

OK I 'll try be more inclusive BTW I confused you with user moceap.
yeah I think try removing X11 is not right path that is my opinion.
And you don't have the right of remove X11 software from Fedora .
You aren't adding software, you are trying removing X11 and impose
Wayland because, I think,  you want that people test wayland, you think
if people test more, the things will be fixed by them self but I don't
think that is true, see the case of btrfs , still missing core
functionalities, hopefully nobody tried to remove ext4.
Moreover I won't test wayland, wayland simple is not ready for me. I
don't use wayland and I want maintain X11

About benefit to Fedora
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Anaconda_As_Native_Wayland_Application#Benefit_to_Fedora

- RDP is more secure that VNC ? this is not an argument, and typically
is not an honest argument. VNC works over ssh, is more light, is more
quick and is better in all aspect that I can think of. So RDP is not a
benefit is an escape to VNC problem .

- This change will enable removal of X11 dependencies from the Anaconda
which may result in reduction of installed software ? you don't even
know if reduce the installed software , so in my conclusion also is not
an argument .

So zero benefits to Fedora, on other hand any old computer with a
graphic where drives don't support wayland will have problems .

So is the same problem of kde-X11 and is not just me, several people
already state the same.

And I'd like discuss this

> That is just not acceptable. Period.

What for me is not acceptable disable kwin-x11, just because yes  , and
give a bunch of work to the others , everywhere forum,  discourse ,
chat , email bugzilla, we have to explain what happened , with X11 ,
how reinstall X11 , so is just not me .

> Not to mention that nobody is breaking any user experience. Your mind
> is so
> distorted that whenever you see "Wayland" you get immediately
> triggered and
> you fight whatever is going on in the discussion.

The problem is not Wayland , the problem is remove X11, and the x11
experience . If you enable wayland but keep X11 as fallback I hadn't
any problem .

> > what we get with Wayland that we don't get
> > with X11 ?
>
> This has been explained so many times that the fact that you keep
> asking this
> over and over and over is just making you look like somebody one
> cannot have a
> conversation with.
>
> > if you need remove X11 to add Wayland, don't do it ! .
>
> Again, the reasoning has been explained in the == Detailed
> Description ==
> section
>
> > Don't
> > break the other Linux user systems .
>
> Nobody is breaking anything. Stop spreading FUD.

No, is not FUD, because we got this experience in Fedora 40, _all_ old
nvidia drives simple don't support wayland .

> > Is difficult understand that you
> > should not remove components without agreement of everyone ?
> >

> yes, sure, like absolutely everything in our society needs to be
> agreed by
> 100% of the people. Of course.
>
> Do you realize how non nonsensical that sounds

Until a few weeks ago, there was always agreement and consensus among
everyone, here in Fedora, in 20 years I don't remember any discussion
like these one.

> > Linux should support all kind of hardware, if Wayland don't, you
> > should
> > provide at least fall backs , and not just ignore the others .
>
> That is only *your* view. Please explain me why I cannot install
> Fedora in my
> AMD K6-2 or my Pentium 200 MMX (because I cannot, it is not supported
> anymore).
>
> Linux should support all kind of hardware, right?
> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:thumbs up:

> > The removal of X11 from KDE , just because KDE SIG decide without
> > consent of many members of Fedora which contribute to Fedora KDE ,
> > should not be acceptable .
>
> Why on earth would you bring this here? I am not sure you can
> understand how
> childish you look by doing this sort of thing.

no, that is the main problem is the removal of X11 .

> > Waste my energy discussing things that should be obvious , make me
> > think if I still should contribute to this project .
>
> If you ask me? Please don't. I personally do not want to deal with
> contributors with the attitude that you have.

me too , please stop your contributions to Fedora and attempts of
remove X11 , you make me miss the previous maintainers a lot .

> > Like Linus says "DON'T BREAK THE USER SPACE"
>
> Is that supposed to mean anything? Just because the kernel maintainer
> says
> something it doesn't mean that is a rule written by the Heavens and
> The All
> Mighty and we must follow it.
>
> (for the record, the linux kernel *has* broken userspace in the past.
> Just
> saying).

This is a principle that means that you should avoid break things and
should provide fallback

 (I don't have more time)

Best regards,

--