Re: Guidance on individual packages requiring x86_64-v2 baseline ?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 10:51 PM Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 1:35 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > But it is the ONLY approach that is compatible with Fedora policies, and as
> > such should be required. ESPECIALLY for a package like QEMU that many people
> > are using.
>
> Please provide your audited (by a 3rd party) data that shows
> that MANY (i.e. significant percentage of) people on x86_64-v1
> users have a need for qemu.
>
> Those without actual data are simply offering an opinion,
> and should be dismissed without further consideration.
>
> We will all wait for your 3rd party validation of your data.

This isn't a constructive way to have the conversation. As you pointed
out in an earlier message, no one has this data, so all of us are left
to take our best guess at it. Let's be respectful to each other about
it.

For myself, I think it's reasonable to conclude there's a non-trivial
amount of people using QEMU on that hardware in some fashion. Much of
that is probably from podman as opposed to running large virtualized
environments at this point, but the podman use case is important for a
lot of people.