Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

Adam Williamson píše v Pá 22. 01. 2016 v 11:43 -0800:
> On Fri, 2016-01-22 at 14:35 +0100, Martin Bříza wrote:
> >
> > 1) Is not really a reason for non-destructive image writing - I'd
> > say
> > there's a third reason - it's hard to revert the iso partition
> > scheme, as
> > I mentioned in an other mail to Christian in this thread.
>
> That's a reasonable point indeed, but I like your proposed solution:
> simply have a 'restore this to being a regular data stick' button in
> the luc interface. Seems like the best approach to me.
>
> > 2) Yeah, adding another patition could be done quite easily I
> > think, at
> > least in Linux and on Mac. Probably more reliably too. Not sure how
> > solve this from inside the live image though.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know either, all the overlay stuff is ancient
> black
> magic I've never dug into :(
>
> > Ad. modularity: It's pretty generic in my opinion - there is an
> > occasional
> > Fedora string here and there but overall these would be easy to
> > remove. If
> > you'd want to add your own distro/product/whatever, you'd just have
> > write your own provider of links to images, along with their
> > descriptions
> > and optionally some additional data like release date, version or
> > links to
> > screenshots.
> > For Fedora, this is done by a PyQuery parser of the getfedora.org
> > websites, that harvests all text that's stored there to present it
> > in LUC
> > too.
> > You could possibly do that for other distros too if you'd want.
> > Depends if
> > folks from the other distros notice this and decide it's useful to
> > them. I
> > guess we could cooperate but until then, Fedora only.
>
> All distros which ship hybridized ISOs really *need* a tool like
> this;
> I've actually poked through the docs for most distros and they all
> have
> some kind of instructions for doing a dd-style write on Windows and
> OS
> X, and they all kinda suck just like ours. So I think a shared tool
> with good cross-OS support would be a huge win for all of us. I
> included links to the support pages for the major distros here:
>
> https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/02/04/more-on-booting-a-practical-
> fedora-uefi-guide-and-dont-use-universal-usb-stick-writers/
>
> you can see from that that we're all promoting a kind of mish-mash of
> non-purpose-built tools which don't really give a great user
> experience
> overall.

Having one finalized tool for all distributions is frankly a no-go for
me. The last thing I wanna have is a tool that people download at
getfedora.org and that offers them a list of distributions including
our competition. That would not be wise.
Having some common base which every distribution would use to build
their own branded LUC on? Why not, but it's definitely not in the scope
of the current initiative. We will be glad if we have it ready for
Fedora by 24. And I also think it's in the interest of other
distributions to drive the project in that direction, we're not the
ones to create the demand.

Jiri