Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 15:39 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a change proposal filed for this? It's definitely the kind of
> > > thing which warrants it, for communication with the web and
> > > infrastructure teams, and for marketing.
> > >
> > > The USB creator, presumably, is a small download, which then itself
> > > does download of the ISO? I assume it's packaged as an installer for
> > > Windows and OS X -- what about for Linux? (Either for existing Fedora
> > > users or distro-hoppers?)
> >
> > I think he's talking about liveusb-creator, in which case yes, this is
> > more or less what it is. I would be leery about making luc the 'main'
> > download for Workstation given its current abilities and the resources
> > currently devoted to it, though. In my experience it's the least
> > reliable of the 'official' USB writing mechanisms, after dd-style
> > writes (most reliable) and livecd-iso-to-disk. I'm also not sure if we
> > have a packaging of luc for non-Fedora distros or OS X.
>
> Yeah but does luc do GPU detection,

No, but Christian wrote "we could try to build" that, he didn't say we
already had it.

>  or download ISOs? I thought you
> had to point it to an ISO file.

luc does do downloads - you *can* point it at a file, but it also has
both a built-in list of images it can download and write, and a remote
URL it queries for an updated list when you hit a 'refresh' button (it
should really pull the list on startup if you're connected to the
internet, but it doesn't, I tried to fix this once and failed, maybe I
should take another shot).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey