Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Thu, 2016-01-14 at 05:27 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:00 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2015-August/001661.html
> > >
> > > Stephen Gallagher has proposed a Change for Server to drop i686 media
> > > for F24.  Given our previous list discussion, this is something for
> > > which we should probably follow suit.  Thoughts?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
> >
> > I wonder if this discussion (archive here [1]) had any conclusion? I just noticed that the Server SIG's proposal is in the F24 ChangeSet [2], but it is not the case for Workstation. If you plan to drop i686 medium, there are 12 more days until the proposal submission deadline [3].
>
> FESCo voted that no i686 media will block the release from F24 and
> forward, so it doesn't make much sense to generate it.

Well, whenever I've seen it discussed, there's been an understanding
that there's a difference there; we do ship a lot of non-release-
blocking media, after all. The idea was that declaring that i686 media
are not blocking is less drastic than out-and-out dropping them, and
gives WGs / SIGs the power to choose whether they want to keep shipping
the images or not. So I'd say you still have a choice to make here: do
you want to keep producing non-blocking 32-bit Workstation media in a
sort of 'here they are if you REALLY want them' way, or just stop
producing them entirely?

I don't think they'll stop being produced/shipped unless you
specifically ask releng to stop producing them, and it might be nice to
have that tracked as a Change or similar indeed.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey