Re: espeak has been forked

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:55:03PM -0600, kendell clark wrote:
> hi all
> Sorry I forgot to post this hear before now, I'm still catching up after the
> holidays. I've been a little quiet hear lately, other than my little rant
> about chrome, lol. I'm planning to be a lot more active in the fedora
> community than I have been, mostly because I like fedora's stance on free
> software, and because you guys really take accessibility seriously. Back on
> point, the espeak <http:// espeak.sf.net>  text to speech synthesizer  was
> forked about a month ago by reece dunn, the developer of espeak for android.
> I have already gotten this added to the manjaro linux distro, which my linux
> distribution, sonar, is based on. The new program is called espeak-ng, the
> ng standing for next generation. I would like to eventually get the espeak
> package in fedora changed to espeak-ng. There is a problem though. Espeak-ng
> has not yet had a formal release. Reece is planning to release one "soon",
> although no definite date on when "soon" is, so I'm not sure when to file a
> ticket for this. You can check espeak-ng out at,
> http://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng.git. The fork was done mainly because
> multiple people, me included, have tried getting in touch with espeak's main
> developer, johnathan duddington, some going as far as to get his home
> address in the UK and his phone number, both of which no longer seem to be
> valid. Internally there have been a ton of changes that make espeak-ng
> better, most of them well over my head. Espeak-ng now uses the standard
> autotools build system, and autodetects your audio environment so there's no
> need to specify this stuff in the spec file. It uses a c99 compiler,
> whatever in the world that is, lol. My questions are these. Should I wait
> until espeak has had a formal release, which will start out at 1.49.0,
> continuing the espeak release numbering scheme, before requesting a package
> review? I'll need to see if I can build an rpm spec file that will
> successfully build and compile first. I'm not very experienced in this, and
> as some of you will remember, had a hard time figuring out on the irc
> channels. Second, if espeak-ng is adopted, could this be backported to all
> supported fedora releases? I'm not sure if espeak itself, not espeak-ng,
> will see any further development, but I doubt it. I'm still new at packaging
> things for fedora, so I apologize for all the questions. Espeak-ng will of
> course maintain the same license as espeak itself, which is gpl3 or later. I
> wouldn't recommend packaging espeak-ng for fedora just yet, since it's in a
> state of flux at the moment and sometimes won't build. Any help would really
> be appreciated. I am a member of fedora, although I'll have to try to
> remember my account info to log in, if I need to file anything. Any wiki
> docs would help too, since i don't want to burden anyone with info that's
> already available elsewhere that I can read.
> Thanks for reading
> [...]

Hi Kendell,

You can package a project before a real release.  There are guidelines
for providing pre-release or git snapshot tags in the spec file.  Here
is a link:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Release_Tag

This might be helpful for you to experiment with packaging, even if
you are not ready to package espeak-ng officially yet.

That packaging document, by the way, is part of a much larger set of
docs on packaging.  If you're serious about pursuing that work, it's
well worth reading.  You can use the docs (as many people do,
including Yours Truly) as reference anytime.