Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I wonder if this discussion (archive here [1]) had any conclusion? I just noticed that the Server SIG's proposal is in the F24 ChangeSet [2], but it is not the case for Workstation. If you plan to drop i686 medium, there are 12 more days until the proposal submission deadline [3].
>>
>> FESCo voted that no i686 media will block the release from F24 and
>> forward, so it doesn't make much sense to generate it.
>
> Well, whenever I've seen it discussed, there's been an understanding
> that there's a difference there; we do ship a lot of non-release-
> blocking media, after all. The idea was that declaring that i686 media
> are not blocking is less drastic than out-and-out dropping them, and
> gives WGs / SIGs the power to choose whether they want to keep shipping
> the images or not. So I'd say you still have a choice to make here: do
> you want to keep producing non-blocking 32-bit Workstation media in a
> sort of 'here they are if you REALLY want them' way, or just stop
> producing them entirely?

If they are made, is QA going to commit to testing them as they have
in the past even if none of the issues found are going to block the
release?  If so, then we have a discussion to have.  If not, then I
really don't see the point in shipping untested media.

(I will note that I am no longer a Workstation WG member, for clarity's sake.)

> I don't think they'll stop being produced/shipped unless you
> specifically ask releng to stop producing them, and it might be nice to
> have that tracked as a Change or similar indeed.

Perhaps.

josh