Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

> > 1) Is not really a reason for non-destructive image writing - I'd say
> > there's a third reason - it's hard to revert the iso partition scheme, as
> > I mentioned in an other mail to Christian in this thread.
>
> That's a reasonable point indeed, but I like your proposed solution:
> simply have a 'restore this to being a regular data stick' button in
> the luc interface. Seems like the best approach to me.

I have the same opinion. Presenting the user with choice "create a $DISTRO installer" / "reset back to a regular USB drive" is simple to understand and users will remember to return back to the program if it is presented properly.

> > Ad. modularity: It's pretty generic in my opinion - there is an occasional
> > Fedora string here and there but overall these would be easy to remove. If
> > you'd want to add your own distro/product/whatever, you'd just have to
> > write your own provider of links to images, along with their descriptions
> > and optionally some additional data like release date, version or links to
> > screenshots.
> > For Fedora, this is done by a PyQuery parser of the getfedora.org
> > websites, that harvests all text that's stored there to present it in LUC
> > too.
> > You could possibly do that for other distros too if you'd want. Depends if
> > folks from the other distros notice this and decide it's useful to them. I
> > guess we could cooperate but until then, Fedora only.
>
> All distros which ship hybridized ISOs really *need* a tool like this;
> I've actually poked through the docs for most distros and they all have
> some kind of instructions for doing a dd-style write on Windows and OS
> X, and they all kinda suck just like ours. So I think a shared tool
> with good cross-OS support would be a huge win for all of us.

Getting more distros on board would be a great win. With enough publicity, maybe people would finally forget about the broken unetbootin.