Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Fri, 2016-01-22 at 14:35 +0100, Martin Bříza wrote:

> 1) Is not really a reason for non-destructive image writing - I'd say
> there's a third reason - it's hard to revert the iso partition scheme, as
> I mentioned in an other mail to Christian in this thread.

That's a reasonable point indeed, but I like your proposed solution:
simply have a 'restore this to being a regular data stick' button in
the luc interface. Seems like the best approach to me.

> 2) Yeah, adding another patition could be done quite easily I think, at
> least in Linux and on Mac. Probably more reliably too. Not sure how to
> solve this from inside the live image though.

I'm afraid I don't know either, all the overlay stuff is ancient black
magic I've never dug into :(

> Ad. modularity: It's pretty generic in my opinion - there is an occasional
> Fedora string here and there but overall these would be easy to remove. If
> you'd want to add your own distro/product/whatever, you'd just have to
> write your own provider of links to images, along with their descriptions
> and optionally some additional data like release date, version or links to
> screenshots.
> For Fedora, this is done by a PyQuery parser of the getfedora.org
> websites, that harvests all text that's stored there to present it in LUC
> too.
> You could possibly do that for other distros too if you'd want. Depends if
> folks from the other distros notice this and decide it's useful to them. I
> guess we could cooperate but until then, Fedora only.

All distros which ship hybridized ISOs really *need* a tool like this;
I've actually poked through the docs for most distros and they all have
some kind of instructions for doing a dd-style write on Windows and OS
X, and they all kinda suck just like ours. So I think a shared tool
with good cross-OS support would be a huge win for all of us. I
included links to the support pages for the major distros here:

https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/02/04/more-on-booting-a-practical-fedora-uefi-guide-and-dont-use-universal-usb-stick-writers/

you can see from that that we're all promoting a kind of mish-mash of
non-purpose-built tools which don't really give a great user experience
overall.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey