Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 15:59 +0100, Martin Bříza wrote:

> Hey,
> I've been working on the facelift for a while now.
> I think most of this leering is caused by the fact it's not promoted very
> well (except a bunch of mails to Desktop and Devel lists I sent in the
> past).
> Except not being able to add a (buggy) permanent overlay for your files,

> Currently, I'm writing a Mac backend to the tool, which is kinda
> challenging provided there's no up-to-date version of syslinux. It's
> possible we'll be able to only dd on Mac.

FWIW, I think a sane design for luc in this day and age should be dd
only. IIRC the *only* benefits of the non-dd mode are:

1) allow for non-destructive write
2) allow for overlays (persistence)

My opinion is that 1) is entirely uninteresting these days. It made
sense back when USB sticks cost 50 bucks. It doesn't make sense when
you get them free with a box of Cap'n Crunch and everyone has fifty of
them stuck down the back of the couch.

2) is more interesting, but if it doesn't work anyway...well :) it's a
bit fuzzy in my mind, but IIRC someone said it was entirely feasible to
do overlays with a dd write; basically you'd write the image with dd
then fiddle about a bit afterwards to create the overlays. That seems
like something worth exploring.

Another note - I don't know if this is already how it's designed, but I
think it would be *really* nice if an overhaul of luc including making
it somewhat generic/modular: i.e. things like the list of image
downloads and branding should be modules, so that the tool could be
shared between distributions. Most distros produce hybridized ISOs
these days and to me it'd make a whole lot of sense if we all
collaborated on *one* graphical tool for downloading ISOs and writing
them to USB sticks, rather than having a dozen different ones.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey