Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:31:47PM -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:

>> Yeah, I think we definitely need to make the text part of the Fedora release
>> process as I would assume that we want to adjust the descriptive text over time.
>> So maybe we can figure out a system where our design and marketing teams can
>> provide updated textual decscriptions for each release and in a format that
>> allows our translators to translate it before release.
>
> I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, maybe I
> misunderstood?
>
> I was referring to the actual interface of the liveusb-creator.  It
> features jargon such as "destructive (cp)"/"non-destructive (dd)" and
> "persistence."  I don't think that's going to work well for users on
> their first experience procuring and installing Fedora.

Martin's message sounds like persistence is going away because it's buggy.

dd would be destructive, cp would be non-destructive.

dd is quite reliable since it keeps the ISO layout and bootloader
completey intact; whereas with cp the bootloaders will need to be
modified, which I still think is fraught with peril. I think the tool
should just use dd on the backend and inform the user very strongly
*ALL* data on the stick will be destroyed.

If the tool is using livecd-iso-to-disk on the backend, that seems to
be pretty reliable on x86_64 for both BIOS and UEFI firmware types.
But my understanding is livecd-tools is going away in favor of
livemedia-creator. So...

Chris Murphy

--
Chris Murphy