Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Martin Bříza <mbriza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Currently, I'm writing a Mac backend to the tool, which is kinda challenging
> provided there's no up-to-date version of syslinux. It's possible we'll be
> able to only dd on Mac.

This part is confusing to me. syslinux hasn't ever been used on Macs,
why would it be now? Actually, why wouldn't LUC just dd *any* ISO to
the USB stick so that we're assured that the same layout on the ISO is
on the stick? If there's a completely different layout, that means
changing bootloader configuration files, and that's now a lot more
testing combinations. I don't see that as being more reliable than LUC
using dd on the backend.That's actually a big part of what's made it
so unreliable in the past, in my opinion. It pulls apart all the work
done to make the ISO boot pretty much everything under the sun,
reinvents the wheel, and then the wheel breaks on some edge case that
turns out to be decently common.

--
Chris Murphy