Re: [Fedora Robotics] ROS Fuerte

On 06/11/2012 09:00 AM, Rich Mattes wrote:
> * The build underlay we check out with rosinstall seems to change every
> so often.  I checked it out on june 6, and it had been updated since you
> made the first package.  We should figure out a way to monitor these
> changes.

*sigh* Okay. Maybe we can ask the ROS community to stop doing that, or
at the very least, to consider releasing versioned source tarballs for
the build underlay? (e.g. fuerte-base-underlay-src-3.tar.gz).

> * Some of the stacks are installing themselves under /usr/share.
>  Programs like rosstack and rosmsg will find the messages and stacks
> when /usr/share is on the ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, but I'm not sure if letting
> them traverse the whole /usr/share tree as the ROS_PACKAGE_PATH is a
> great idea.  I think we could maybe install everything in
> /usr/share/ros-fuerte instead of /usr/share, and set the
> ROS_PACKAGE_PATH to that path out of the box.  But then we run into
> issues when packages like PCL install themselves to /usr/share and
> identify themselves as stacks, so maybe we just live with it.

Yeah. I thought about this too, but it seems to be something we can live
with.

> * Are all of the symlinks to /usr/bin/* and /usr/lib{,64}/* ok?  Do we
> need them since PATH and ld already know where to find things?  I went
> over the guidelines and didn't see anything that said they weren't, but
> boy does it seem clumsy.

Well, I wasn't sure. I do know that a lot of the ROS tooling calls
binaries on the assumption that they're in the stack dir, so I don't
think we can drop those symlinks, and I wasn't sure initially if some of
the libs were being dlopened at any point, so I just kept making those
symlinks. I'm also trying to comply with the letter of the FHS on those
items.

It's clumsy, but that's because the ROS stack model is so... clumsy. I'm
still not thrilled that the shared libraries aren't versioned.

> I think we're making good progress, I'll try to reach out to the ROS
> community and let them know what we're up to and if they have any
> advice/feedback.

Hopefully you will have better luck reaching them than I did before. :)

~tom

==
Fedora Project