Re: [Fedora Robotics] ROS Fuerte

On 05/30/2012 02:07 PM, Rich Mattes wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     This looks promising! I'm going to have to rename the namespacing for
>     this package (and patch all dependent ROS bits to use it) to avoid
>     conflicting with the "normal" pcl, but at least it should get me moving
>     again.
>

> Is the goal to eventually get ros to play nice with system-wide
> libraries and apps?  We already have a lot of ros dependencies packaged
> or on the way (bullet, pcl, ompl, openni, gazebo, etc).  The motivations
> section of REP 122[1] indicates that upstream is interested in building
> ROS against standalone versions of system libraries, we may want to keep
> an eye on that as ros packages are submitted for review.

Yes. Wherever possible, I'm using system libraries (e.g. in my
ros-bullet package that is basically just a ROS wrapper for the existing
bullet bits). PCL just wouldn't work because they're dependent upon a
forked version of PCL. I'm not sure _why_ that is, since Willow Garage
is upstream for both PCL and ROS.

~tom

==
Fedora Project