Re: [Fedora Robotics] ROS Fuerte

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This looks promising! I'm going to have to rename the namespacing for
this package (and patch all dependent ROS bits to use it) to avoid
conflicting with the "normal" pcl, but at least it should get me moving
again.

Is the goal to eventually get ros to play nice with system-wide libraries and apps?  We already have a lot of ros dependencies packaged or on the way (bullet, pcl, ompl, openni, gazebo, etc).  The motivations section of REP 122[1] indicates that upstream is interested in building ROS against standalone versions of system libraries, we may want to keep an eye on that as ros packages are submitted for review.

Rich

[1] http://ros.org/reps/rep-0122.html