Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Fedora Project creates innovative platforms built on Free and Open
> source software that allows our community build tailored solutions for
> their users.

I mostly like this one. To me, it's important that we talk about "Free
and Open Source Software" because "free/open platforms" can be
proprietary, too. Many people consider the Apple iOS and macOS
platforms to be "open" but it's still proprietary and doesn't give you
the expected freedoms. Platforms beget ecosystems, so you can have an
open platform without Free Software.

There are a couple of grammar tweaks to make, so here's what I propose
as a slight improvement on Stephen's:

~~~~
The Fedora Project creates innovative platforms built on Free and Open
Source Software that allows communities to build tailored solutions
for their users.
~~~~

That statement changes the wording slightly to emphasize FOSS and also
to remove the exclusion of communities not affiliated with Fedora
directly. There are plenty of downstreams from us that use Fedora to
build something greater.

However, I would not be opposed to the following either:

~~~~
The Fedora Project creates innovative platforms built on Free and Open
Source Software that allows our community to build tailored solutions
for their users.
~~~~

What do you think?