Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On 11/22/22 05:52, deloptes wrote:
William Morder via tde-users wrote:

The idea of a liberal education originally meant something more like
free-ranging, independent inquiry. Now *liberal* is taken to be a
political stance, opposed to *conservative*; thus some people (won't name
names) would like to purge liberals from education and to fill
universities with dunces and butt-kissers whose only qualifications are
loyalty to Big Brother and the official party line.

well, in Europe we have evidence that George Soros is involved in many of
these processes with his Open Society Foundation, for whatever reason -
they are destroying education and countries as whole, but it is getting
very political and conspirative into some extent. But there is evidence -
ask the Hungarians if you don't want to ask the Russians. The other
countries are simply subordinate to his foundation. It is everywhere the
same scheme - they infected the education system (the universities and the
teachers) also the media and the politicians ... so mostly there is no
chance to resist.
Why they are doing it - I don't know. But in 10-15 years Europe will be
finished. Even today there is not enough educated people to build
something. I don't know how it is in the US ... but well, I can imagine.

IDK either deloptes. Soros, Gates and Fauci are the 3 most dangerous people on this ball of rock and water, that single pixel, a pale blue dot in a voyager image from 30 some years ago.

What I do know is that there are not enough of us JOAT's to keep civilization running another 100 years. I'm close to being in that category, and from what you've written over the last couple decades, you are also in that group. We are a library others can consult as long as we live. And I find it somewhat discouraging that there is not some youngster, following us around 24/7 trying to absorb and understand what I/we do on a daily basis.

I'm now 88, have a chest full of hardware and electronics, so my remaining time is obviously limited. So this library has a limited time left to be open.

Question? How many others on this list feel like they could walk into
a test session to be a Certified Electronics Technician, and pass it?

Without "cracking" a book? I did that in 1972, and passed it, the only one who passed it after that professor had been teaching a class on the subject for the 5 years previous. I was the first to pass the final exam, and all I did was walk in the door with a $20 bill and that seasons flu to pay for his time to administer the test.

I was very discouraged 35 years ago, when I got stuck showing a 2 buss loads of students from a local high school around WDTV-5. Showing them around and telling them how tv actually worked for most of a morning, finished up by walking each of them past a studio camera so they could see how they looked on tv, and said as I was winding up, that someday I would retire, and I hoped that by then one of you would be nipping at my heels, wanting my job.

The most vocal of the group, when they all got thru laughing, asked who in hell would want such a job? I had just spent nearly 3 hours trying to glamorize it as a well paying endeavor, because I was well paid, making about 15k a year more at a market 162 tv station than the rest of that market group were paying. Only one piece of gear was ever sent out to be repaired, and that was because the maker didn't want to supply a service manual. All the rest of the stuff news could break, I restored to operation, 90% of the time by myself.

Now I'm just another fading book, still designing and making things, in steel with cnc machines I built, wood, or plastic on a 3d printer and
rebuilding a couple of them to be lots faster.

I'm having fun, although its lonesome fun as my wife has passed already, and keeping busy keeps me out of the bars.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis