Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On 11/21/22 03:52, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
Anno domini 2022 Sun, 20 Nov 12:01:43 -0800
  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
[...]
Whenever I can live elsewhere, then I hope to get far enough away from dense
urban areas that I don't need a smartphone, and a landline and/or dumbphone
will do. Yes, there is still such a place in this world, where large areas
have no cellular coverage at all. While they have discovered the internet,
everybody seems blissfully unconcerned about smartphones, because they can't
get a signal, anyway.

Green Bank, West Virginia, for example. It's not allowed in the Free West to peak of the other regions.

Nik

Bill

Which, if you've time for demo of the stupidity a gvmnt agency, in this care the FCC, can really screw things up hopelessly. Background, early 2000's and they have published a list of the new channel assignments we are supposed to use when we switch to digital. I am the now 20 years retired, CE of WDTV-5 and at that point I called Wes Sizemore, who is in charge of seeing to it that Grenn Bank is not disturbed by any radio or tv signals getting into their dishes, Wes wants to know what the frequency is, so I tell him and about 45 seconds later, he asks if I'm sitting down. Fisher Hill, just north of Weston WV is where the ch5 transmitter is, and has been since back in the '50's. And we've been at full power output, 100kw, on channel 5 from the gitgo.

But.... Fisher Hill is about 3 miles INSIDE the Green Bank NRQZ.

Channel's 56 and 58 are what the FCC originally proposed for us, as we had jut bought the remains of the bankrupt fox station.

Wes says he'll have to shut us down if we make more than 4.78 watts of noise toward 270 degrees true. I take a deep breath and request an official letter confirming that.

Which I got in due time, and dropped it on the copy machine for about 10 copies because I was going to have some fun with them at the annual NAB in another month, going around to the various transmitter makers asking for a quote for 2 transmitters and antenna's to be used. Most had real engineers in their booths and got the message in 30 seconds or less and we all had good laughs.

In the meantime, I had sicced our fcc lawyer after them. Their computer completely forgot our transmitter on Fisher Hill was about 3 miles inside the Green Bank NRQZ.

Took them a couple years, but they finally decided we could stay on ch-5.

That's good, but later side effects are the killers. We are the only low band vhf broadcaster in the country now, and except for a run of 100 or so, by channel master a couple years ago, no new low band antennas are being made. So we've laid a high def fiber link to nearly all the cable systems in our area.

I'm glad I retired 20 years ago. Somebody else can deal with the idiots now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis