Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On Sunday 20 November 2022 11:28:56 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Hi Bill!
>
> Anno domini 2022 Sun, 20 Nov 10:50:31 -0800
>

> > I looked round for some kind of group that is into rooting Android
> > phones, but they don't seem to exist, or maybe they keep to themselves. I
> > suppose that this would be like building a pirate ship in a bottle.
>
> To sum up 25 years: rooted smartphones are not rooted at all.
snip

> Yes, it's cool to thinker with these devices - as long as you get payed for
> it. Even then, I would not consider signing a contract for these things
> again. Just my 2�.
>
> Nik

Well, as somebody else said earlier in this thread, these smartphones are
becoming necessary for almost everything. True, I am getting old enough that
I can avoid being forced to change my way of life, but there is also a kind
of social stigma against those who are not fervent believers in the wholesome
goodness of smartphones; the Apple-users are the worst, as they are the most
trusting, because of course they cannot actually tinker with their devices at
all. (I think jailbreaking iPhones has almost disappeared, or I don't hear
about it any more.)

And while I would prefer to stick with a landline, and my only computer is a
desktop (with maybe a laptop for travel), I find that I do not live in such a
world, that at every turn I am pressured to use my smartphone to verify, or
pay, or to do practically anything.

The rule of smartphones has indirectly interfered with my travel plans, with
my work, my finances, and I am trying to extricate myself from this trap.
Since I cannot, at present, get rid of my smartphone completely, then the
next best thing is to try to get control over it.

Whenever I can live elsewhere, then I hope to get far enough away from dense
urban areas that I don't need a smartphone, and a landline and/or dumbphone
will do. Yes, there is still such a place in this world, where large areas
have no cellular coverage at all. While they have discovered the internet,
everybody seems blissfully unconcerned about smartphones, because they can't
get a signal, anyway.

Bill