Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen?

I need a sound played 10 minutes before each hour during the work day, such
that it does not interfere with what’s on the screen, grab the mouse, or grab
the keyboard.   Scheduling it with cron is easy, but I can’t seem to get the
sound to play reliably.  I’m currently using:

/usr/bin/play --no-show-progress --volume .5 /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Connect.ogg

Sometimes that plays other times it’s silent.

I’ve also tried:

kaboodle /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Event_2.ogg

Which always plays, but I don’t know how to start it either minimized, closed
to the system tray, or some other way so it doesn’t cause issues.  I’ve seen
some hokey solutions using wmctrl and/or xdotool, but they still pop up the
program (kaboodle) before minimizing it.

AV isn’t really my forte, and I don’t really care what program works, does
anyone have experience doing something like this?

Thanks,
Michael