Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen?

On Wednesday 16 November 2022 10:29:55 Michael wrote:
> I need a sound played 10 minutes before each hour during the work day, such
> that it does not interfere with what’s on the screen, grab the mouse, or
> grab the keyboard.   Scheduling it with cron is easy, but I can’t seem to
> get the sound to play reliably.  I’m currently using:
>
> /usr/bin/play --no-show-progress --volume .5
> /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Connect.ogg
>
> Sometimes that plays other times it’s silent.
>
> I’ve also tried:
>
> kaboodle /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Event_2.ogg
>
> Which always plays, but I don’t know how to start it either minimized,
> closed to the system tray, or some other way so it doesn’t cause issues.
> I’ve seen some hokey solutions using wmctrl and/or xdotool, but they still
> pop up the program (kaboodle) before minimizing it.
>
> AV isn’t really my forte, and I don’t really care what program works, does
> anyone have experience doing something like this?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Just curious why it must be played on your computer; in which case, one has to
deal with competing programs that may also use the sound system, not to
mention these other disruptions, such as grabbing the mouse, etc.

If it were myself, I would of course set an alarm on my phone, then use a
special sound file for just that alarm.

As for starting it minimized, I believe that you can set any window to start
minimized: right-click at top of window > Advanced > Special Application
Settings, etc.

My hunch is that you probably already know all this, and you have some special
reasons for not wanting to use another device such as a phone for this task,
and special application settings also don't quite fit.

So this is more like a research question. I am trying to picture your
situation. To find a solution that matches your needs, it may require a
little more information. There are, of course, lots of media players that
could be used for the task.

Bill