Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 12:29:55 -0600
Michael <mb_trinity_desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need a sound played 10 minutes before each hour during the work day, such
> that it does not interfere with what’s on the screen, grab the mouse, or grab
> the keyboard.   Scheduling it with cron is easy, but I can’t seem to get the
> sound to play reliably.  I’m currently using:
>
> /usr/bin/play --no-show-progress --volume .5 /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Connect.ogg
>
> Sometimes that plays other times it’s silent.

What program is /usr/bin/play, actually?  On my system, it's a symlink to sox, but
we're not using the same distro.

I'd probably try mpg123, aplay, ffplay, or mplayer in roughtly that order (not all of
which will take an ogg, but converting the file is a one-and-done operation).  You
want a player without a GUI for this, ideally a small one that doesn't use many
resources.

Results may vary depending on what else you're doing with the soundcard and
whether you're running aRts and/or pulseaudio and/or some other mixer.

E. Liddell