Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen?

Thanks Bill, E.,

I'm such a luddite when it comes to GUI.

> As for starting it minimized, I believe that you can set any window to
> start minimized: right-click at top of window > Advanced > Special
> Application Settings, etc.

I didn’t even know about the Special Application Settings.  Once I finally
figured out how to get it to work (make sure to click the X on the right to
enable the setting!) it worked great to both minimize it and open it on the
second desktop (that way it doesn’t flash in the task bar either).

I actually liked E.’s idea better, and tried a few, but ‘eh, I got Kaboodle to
work, so I gave up looking for something that has a ‘--minimized’ switch.
Here’s what worked in cron.

#!/bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0 /opt/trinity/bin/kaboodle /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Window_Close.ogg

# # #

Oh, the goal is to get me off my butt once an hour, so if I’m not at the
computer, I probably don’t need the sound.  I have also turned off/force
stopped/removed Google from my phone, which has mostly crippled it.  All the
default apps have to have notifications silenced or they spam you
with, “Google services seems to be off, should I turn it back on?”  Gotta
love G’s persistence to spy on you, cause really, under what conceivable
scenario does a calculator need to phone home to G to work?  I could probably
side load a third party timer though.

Thanks again,
Michael