Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen?

On Friday 18 November 2022 18:21:10 Michael wrote:
> Thanks Bill, E.,
>
> I'm such a luddite when it comes to GUI.

I am a Luddite in general, on principle; but only because the new technology
would seem to divide people from one another. But that is a whole other
off-topic discussion.

> Oh, the goal is to get me off my butt once an hour, so if I’m not at the
> computer, I probably don’t need the sound.  I have also turned off/force
> stopped/removed Google from my phone, which has mostly crippled it.  All
> the default apps have to have notifications silenced or they spam you
> with, “Google services seems to be off, should I turn it back on?”  Gotta
> love G’s persistence to spy on you, cause really, under what conceivable
> scenario does a calculator need to phone home to G to work?  I could
> probably side load a third party timer though.

There's a great big pile of Google-free apps to be had on F-Droid and similar
sites. I have installed *only* F-droid certified non-snooping and
non-intrusive apps on my phone. And I do still get a notification about
wanting me to update, and sometimes a recommendation to allow Google to know
my location, and all that crap, but I just ignore them. Every couple months I
am forced to do an update for my own good, whether I want one or not, but
after I figure out how properly to root my phone, I will purge Google for
ever and ever from my life.

First, though, I will get some practice by rooting my old phone, which still
works, but gets no telephone signal. Interesting, though, is the fact that I
can still use it for internet, so I am also thinking about moving to Linphone
(recommended by Leslie) or some other internet phone.

I say the only reasonable response to Google's forced snooping, and other
intrusions into our privacy, is just to reject them outright, or at least to
pry oneself free, by small steps.

Check out F-Droid! if you haven't done already.

Bill

P.S. By the way, I use my *second* old phone to set alarms, because nothing
else works on it any more. This keeps my other phones from giving up data.
P.P.S., This has not gone totally off-topic, because someday soon I know that
I will be running TDE on my phone.