Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

Hi Bill!

Anno domini 2022 Sun, 20 Nov 10:50:31 -0800
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> On Sunday 20 November 2022 04:23:30 deloptes wrote:
>
> > I am really sceptical about you undertaking.
>
> You are not alone. Your scepticism is shared by the Present Author.
> ;-)
>

> > Well Android is a Linux fork, but again, you can't just get the hardware
> > working without drivers, which are mostly proprietary and closed
>
> My ambition is not to create a working, fully-functional smartphone with a TDE
> desktop. I want only to see if it is possible to get it installed in such an
> environment. I realize that there is a different file system, the problem
> with drivers, etc., etc.
>
> Long ago (20 years?), I knew somebody who actually installed Linux on a phone.
> I don't know how, don't know if it actually worked. I didn't hear much more
> about it, so I assume that it wasn't really functional, but he actually got
> Linux to run on a phone, and this was one of those really old cheap phones;
> not one of our new smartphones.
>
> If I get a chance to talk to him about that (probably not soon), then I will
> find out more about how and so on. At the time, it seemed like building a
> ship in a bottle: interesting, but not really practical. Now it suddenly
> seems like a good idea.
>
> As I said, I have a brand-new, working phone, but I don't intend to do
> anything to mess up that device (yet), as I do actually use it for maybe 5-10
> calls a month.
>
> However, I also have an older smartphone, which does not receive a phone
> signal any longer, but which still can connect to Internet. This is the
> device that I intend to start on. Once I get it rooted - if I don't brick
> it - I intend to install Replicant, Sailfish, or whatever is closest to
> GNU/Linux free/libre (meaning, I won't be restricted by proprietary
> barriers), and there, if I have enough capacity, I will try to install a TDE
> desktop, just to see if it is possible.
>
> Other phones (as I've heard here and elsewhere) use some modified KDE desktop,
> if they have a proper desktop at all, so perhaps I am not yet entirely out of
> my mind. (Some may suppose otherwise.)
>
> After I get practice at rooting my older smartphone, and installing a
> free/libre OS, then I will try it out on my new phone, my primary phone. At
> present, I don't intend to experiment with TDE on my new phone, but in
> another year or two it will become my older phone, and then anything goes.
>
> As for the rooting, I've been doing my research, and I hope that over the
> winter months, that will be my project, to root my older phone, and if all
> goes well, to get my new phone rooted, Google-free, running a free/libre OS,
> and to be functional.
>
> I looked round for some kind of group that is into rooting Android phones, but
> they don't seem to exist, or maybe they keep to themselves. I suppose that
> this would be like building a pirate ship in a bottle.

These groups exist, a starting point is https://forum.xda-developers.com - but you'll need chinese and russian language skills quite soon. That said ... been there, done that ... and in the end all forfeit. Sharp Zaurus looked like the dawn of a new periode, Nokia N900 too, and at last Android. "The system is rigged" if I may cite a well known person that just got his twitter account reinstantiated.

To sum up 25 years: rooted smartphones are not rooted at all. Yes, you get a different GUI, you get rid of bloatware etc, but the "rooted" application processor is only second class citizen on your phone. Master is the baseband processor aka "modem" - and that's owned by your vendor/provider/3letters. And to make things worse, "some" devices (notable eary Samsung Galaxy Note) have hw-debug of the application processor wired to the baseband. Guess why. Guess what you can do with that.

Yes, it's cool to thinker with these devices - as long as you get payed for it. Even then, I would not consider signing a contract for these things again. Just my 2¢.

Nik