Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> So that will be my first goal, to root my older phone. If anybody else
> wants to join in the experiment, then we can pool our knowledge.

well the problem is the drivers for the hardware. except for project like
Pine Phone or Free Phone manufacturers do not provide information.
Jolla uses the AOSP program by Sony and is able to build/port the MeeGo to
the hardware creating sophisticated layer between the Android kernel and
the application layer, so I am really sceptical about you undertaking.

> Once we have prepared the ground, so to speak, then maybe we can talk
> realistically about creating a version of TDE for phones. On my older
> phone, if I recall correctly, it was possible to install debian packages
> (or at least there were some modified Debian programs available, made into
> smartphone apps?); I never did much with it, but I remember one app in
> particular that was called L'il Debbie (after the name of a brand of junk
> food, cookies and cupcakes, etc., also playing on Debian), but I could not
> determine if it actually *did* anything. In any case, the command-line in
> Android works almost the same as Debian, but again, I haven't explored
> much.

Well Android is a Linux fork, but again, you can't just get the hardware
working without drivers, which are mostly proprietary and closed

> Well anyway ... if anybody out there wants to collaborate on rooting
> smartphones and installing a Google-free OS, the help would be
> appreciated. I've done some reading and research, but (I keep reminding
> people) I am not a techie or geek.

I hope for a break through, but again ... things worsened since 2008 and no
light at the end of the tunnel yet, although I am not actively following
any new developments