Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On Saturday 19 November 2022 16:20:30 deloptes wrote:

> This is also why I prefer
> using TDE (it just works as it did back in 2005). I tried Android and it
> was disgusting. Constantly updates, privacy issues and alike. I wish we
> could implement MTP in TDE, but I found out I do not have the time to dive
> into it. I compiled TDE 14.1 for RPI and wanted to replace my desktop PC,
> but found out that the scanner software is bound to x86 architecture and
> gave it up. It is hard to match all use cases on alternative devices.

For the present, I think that if we get some practice at how properly to root
our smartphones without bricking them (such as I want to do with my older
smartphone), and manage to get a free/libre OS installed, that will provide a
place to experiment with putting TDE on a smartphone desktop.

So that will be my first goal, to root my older phone. If anybody else wants
to join in the experiment, then we can pool our knowledge.

Once we have prepared the ground, so to speak, then maybe we can talk
realistically about creating a version of TDE for phones. On my older phone,
if I recall correctly, it was possible to install debian packages (or at
least there were some modified Debian programs available, made into
smartphone apps?); I never did much with it, but I remember one app in
particular that was called L'il Debbie (after the name of a brand of junk
food, cookies and cupcakes, etc., also playing on Debian), but I could not
determine if it actually *did* anything. In any case, the command-line in
Android works almost the same as Debian, but again, I haven't explored much.

Well anyway ... if anybody out there wants to collaborate on rooting
smartphones and installing a Google-free OS, the help would be appreciated.
I've done some reading and research, but (I keep reminding people) I am not a
techie or geek.

Bill