Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

Thierry de Coulon wrote:

>> I read many months ago about the Pine Phone and was not convinced in
>> anyway that it is useful either. Let me know what is your experience and
>> share some use cases. For example can you sync data, how the usual
>> features work, calendar, alarms, sms, e-mail clients etc.
>
> I'd be happy to share, but you seem to be a much heavier phone user than I
> am :)

well, I can not carry my PC in the pocket - so except phone and sms, I need
reminders (calendar) and contacts, which I need to sync (and I refuse to
use cloud services for that)
The other thing is that I have issue with business contacts, mails and
scheduled meetings, so I need some kind of outlook on the phone as well.
These are my use cases and I basically driven from the need to do business.

> I don't think many (if any) "linux application for phone" have been
> writen, so you mostly have to rely on apps that were not inteded to be
> used on a phone (or a tiny screen, or a vertical screen).

I contradict, because Sailfish (the former MeeGo) was developed exactly for
smart phones.

> As far as I undestand, Pine's idea is that no one will write these
> applpications as long as there is no hardware, so they try to provide that
> hardware. The software still has to be created.

Well this is where former Nokia and later Jolla/Sailfish failed and this is
how Alien Dalvik got adopted (license cost 50€ and is permanent). So the
point is that the developer expects some kind of monetization and if the
community is not big enough, there is no motivation to write apps

>> How does it behave in a car - can you connect and use the phone (HFP)?
>
> Sorry, don't know what HFP means (english is not my mother tongue). Hand
> free maybe? There is bluetooth but I never tried to connect in a car (only
> use it with a special app to control charging...). I'll take a look.

Yes, HFP is hands free profile. The other one that you may use is HSP (head
set profile). HFP is used mostly in cars as it offers some additional
functions.

>> can you encrypt the filesystem?
>
> I guess this will depend on the system. Never tried it with android
> either, I have no secrets on my phone...
>
>> which ECO systems are available?
>
> Not sure what you mean. Some linux-for-phone systems are based on regular
> distributions, such as Mobian - Debian. Some GUIs are based on KDE. But I
> did not have the feeling that there was a real integration at this point.

the eco system is the apps and the way you manage them (install, access to
data on the phone, monetization, user base etc.)

>> Can you use clients such as Signal, WhatsApp, Firefox?
>
> Firefox sure. Does Signal have a Linux version? AFAIK WhatsApp is
> IOS/Android only (but as I use neither this in only hearsay).

Yes it has Linux version, but it is closed/pre-compiled for specific
distributions.
WhatsApp is BS, but they use it here and I need it for contacting the school
etc.

> I must say I'm rather a phone hater - I use my Android as a PDA (alarm,
> short notes, Kindle), parking paying and - when I absolutely have to -
> phoning. I usually have phone costs (all included) of less then $5 a
> month...

Oh, good that you can be so conservative, I am trying too, but I already
described the use cases that are driven by the circumstances.
The stupid thing is that is expected if you want to be part of the
company/social life :/

BR