Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On Monday 21 November 2022 00:49:26 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2022 Sun, 20 Nov 12:01:43 -0800
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > [...]
> > Whenever I can live elsewhere, then I hope to get far enough away from
> > dense urban areas that I don't need a smartphone, and a landline and/or
> > dumbphone will do. Yes, there is still such a place in this world, where
> > large areas have no cellular coverage at all. While they have discovered
> > the internet, everybody seems blissfully unconcerned about smartphones,
> > because they can't get a signal, anyway.
>
> Green Bank, West Virginia, for example. It's not allowed in the Free West
> to peak of the other regions.
>
> Nik

Yeah, I do know about that area, where radio signals are limited, and all
wireless devices are banned, so that they don't interfere with their
scientifc research and military spookery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone

That's Gene's neck of the woods. I don't know much about it myself, but I
intend to check out the area for livability.

Myself, I still need to be close enough to a university with a proper research
library, so I need to do some reconnaissance on the ground to determine where
will fit my needs. (I am a very selective Luddite.) But it may not need to be
WV, as there are other places.

Not too far northeast of there is the area where I grew up, and my home town
is only a 30 minute drive from Penn State, and they have seven research
libraries, and I have relatives all over that area, etc. But also, that is
Amish country, and because large areas are taken up with their communities,
there isn't much need for cellular service. Only a short distance outside any
city or large town, and nobody can get a signal. Unless everybody starts
using satellite phones, or somehow hooks up with Elon Musk's Starlink, I
don't foresee things changing soon.

Well, anyway, I still have a few things to finish up here, before I can think
about moving. And recent events around the world (war and its effects, for
example) have made me postpone my plans.

Bill