Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On Monday 21 November 2022 23:01:34 deloptes wrote:
> gene heskett wrote:
> > I'm glad I retired 20 years ago. Somebody else can deal with the idiots
> > now.
>
> this is taking pandemic dimensions all over the globe and is likely to
> accelerate in the future (especially in the west).
> Education is broken from the kinder garden to the university.
> We were laughing few years ago that the movie "Idiocracy" is not a fiction
> but is the now, however we did not expected to have the future so fast
> arriving to reality. It is hopeless!

Agreed. The depth of ignorance is shocking. People conflate formal schooling
(the goal of which is to get a degree) with education (which has no end).

The idea of a liberal education originally meant something more like
free-ranging, independent inquiry. Now *liberal* is taken to be a political
stance, opposed to *conservative*; thus some people (won't name names) would
like to purge liberals from education and to fill universities with dunces
and butt-kissers whose only qualifications are loyalty to Big Brother and the
official party line.

Ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery.

Bill