Re: Konqueror & FAT32

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:44:27AM -0800, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> 'Twould be nice if Linux could handle fat32 sometimes without having to format
> it to a Linux filesystem.

As far as I know, all Linux distros should be able to handle fat32.

    man mkfs.fat

should give you the options for formatting drives as a FAT system.
Normally you don't call that directly, but call it through `mkfs` with
the -t option.

    mkfs -t vfat <device>

I would expect that all modern Linux distros support full read/write
permissions on FAT drives.

There's plenty of other people who have this issue, not just TDE:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+cannot+move+file+to+trash

To support "move to trash", your drive needs to have a hidden trash
directory. That's the case for other desktops, I assume TDE requires the
same. I think that's normally called something like .Trash-1000 where
the number at the end is your user id.

Do you have write permission in top (root) directory of the USB stick?
If you do an `ls -a` of that directory, can you see a hidden trash
directory, and do you have permissions to write to it?

If you make any changes to the permissions, you probably should unmount
and remove the USB stick, then remount it, just in case TDE doesn't spot
the changes.

--
Steve