Re: Konqueror & FAT32

On Saturday 16 January 2021 19:10:20 Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:44:27AM -0800, William Morder via tde-users
wrote:
> > 'Twould be nice if Linux could handle fat32 sometimes without having to
> > format it to a Linux filesystem.
>
> As far as I know, all Linux distros should be able to handle fat32.
>
>     man mkfs.fat
>
> should give you the options for formatting drives as a FAT system.
> Normally you don't call that directly, but call it through `mkfs` with
> the -t option.
>
>     mkfs -t vfat <device>
>
> I would expect that all modern Linux distros support full read/write
> permissions on FAT drives.
>
> There's plenty of other people who have this issue, not just TDE:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+cannot+move+file+to+trash
>
> To support "move to trash", your drive needs to have a hidden trash
> directory. That's the case for other desktops, I assume TDE requires the
> same. I think that's normally called something like .Trash-1000 where
> the number at the end is your user id.
>
> Do you have write permission in top (root) directory of the USB stick?
> If you do an `ls -a` of that directory, can you see a hidden trash
> directory, and do you have permissions to write to it?
>
> If you make any changes to the permissions, you probably should unmount
> and remove the USB stick, then remount it, just in case TDE doesn't spot
> the changes.

The problem is that Linux systems in general seem to have a problem sometimes
with mounting a flash drive or SD card, but only after they have been used in
another device, such as a smartphone or a non-Linux system.

I put a large music collection on a new SD card, for listening while I am
outdoors walking, but when I went to change some of the items, now I find
that my Linux system refuses to mount the drive. The same has happened with
fat32 flash drives.

This does not happen with other hard drives, such as an external hard drive
that is formatted NTFS; only with fat32 flash drives or (I forget the
filesystem here) SD cards.

Also I believe that smartphones can really mess up the data on SD cards, as I
had a lot of weirdness there. For example: a folder for one artist was
instead filled with music from an entirely different artist. This could not
have been a mistake on my part, as I have the originals, all tidy and
organized, and the contents of the flash drive were first organized on a
folder that resides in my desktop computer. Thus all I need to do is copy the
contents of that folder to my SD card.

It is only when I tried to copy the contents of that SD card to another
location, then suddenly everything got messed up.

So I believe that Kate might be onto something there, that formatting with
Linux first could eliminate some of that mess.

Bill