Re: Konqueror & FAT32

On Saturday 16 January 2021 11:19:51 BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 January 2021 09:46:12 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I just found that after my latest updates to 14.0.10 I lost the
> > > "Delete" funtionality in konqueror. When I do a right click on at file
> > > on a FAT32 usb thumbdrive, then the context menu pops up with the
> > > "Delete" entry greyed out. Pressing "<DEL>"-key consequently des not
> > > delete the file nor move it to the thrashcan. Pressing "<shift>+<DEL>"
> > > deletes the file.
> > >
> > > Does somebody else see this, too?
> > >
> > > Nik
> >
> > I just upgraded a couple days ago, and I don't have that problem.
> > Everything works the same as before.
> >
> > The problem, however, may reside in the flash drive itself, and the fat32
> > filesystem. I've had problems with both flash drives and SD cards:
> > sometimes they mount and behave normally, sometimes not. Do you have the
> > delete function when you are using Konqueror with non-fat drives, such as
> > your
>
> other
>
> > hard drives?
> >
> > You might dig up your konquerorrc file, where the delete function can be
> > set or unset. You might be able to override other changes by changing
> > that file.
> >
> > Bill
>
> I need to use fat32 because I still have some itsinks clients (thankfully
> that's fading)
>
> Stock formatted usb and SD cards do exhibit problems like that in general.
> That's why I always format them with linux before use. I never have a
> problem after that.
>
> NTFS, when I have to use that crap, sometimes will. HFS doesn't give me
> much of a problem, less than NTFS more than fat32.
>
> Try clean formatting the drives before use and make use you chown to your
> user just in case.
>
> Kate

Except ... maybe users need to use those items with other devices that do not
read Linux filesystems? e.g., SD cards in smartphones, or flash drives to be
used with other computers. Maybe, the unfortunate user is forced by job or
circumstances to take those flash drives or SD cards and use them on
[*SHUDDER of horror*] Windozes or Rotten Apples? In such cases, fat32 is read
by all of them; ext3 or ext4, not.

'Twould be nice if Linux could handle fat32 sometimes without having to format
it to a Linux filesystem.

:-/

Bill