Re: Konqueror & FAT32 - P.S. screenshots

On Saturday 16 January 2021 19:10:20 Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:44:27AM -0800, William Morder via tde-users
wrote:
> > 'Twould be nice if Linux could handle fat32 sometimes without having to
> > format it to a Linux filesystem.

What I mean is, these drives will not mount when using my Linux desktop, but
they still work fine in other devices.

> As far as I know, all Linux distros should be able to handle fat32.
>
>     man mkfs.fat
>
> should give you the options for formatting drives as a FAT system.
> Normally you don't call that directly, but call it through `mkfs` with
> the -t option.
>
>     mkfs -t vfat <device>
>
> I would expect that all modern Linux distros support full read/write
> permissions on FAT drives.
>
> There's plenty of other people who have this issue, not just TDE:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+cannot+move+file+to+trash
>
> To support "move to trash", your drive needs to have a hidden trash
> directory. That's the case for other desktops, I assume TDE requires the
> same. I think that's normally called something like .Trash-1000 where
> the number at the end is your user id.
>
> Do you have write permission in top (root) directory of the USB stick?
> If you do an `ls -a` of that directory, can you see a hidden trash
> directory, and do you have permissions to write to it?
>
> If you make any changes to the permissions, you probably should unmount
> and remove the USB stick, then remount it, just in case TDE doesn't spot
> the changes.

I enclosed a screenshot. Neither my SD card, nor flash drives, can be mounted;
I have gone about it every which way. Once they have been used on another
device, they become essentially unusable with my desktop. They cannot be
mounted, formatted, or anything else.

When I try to mount them, I get an error message about permissions and fstab,
but I've tried changing those. My Devuan Jessie system had no problems here,
by the way. I found a web page with some nifty ideas about how to force
auto-mounting, if so desired:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-can-i-automount-my-drives-in-debian-4175436306/

Since nobody else uses my desktop, this works for me; or rather, it used to
work in my Jessie system. Now that I am running Devuan Beowulf, it doesn't
work. It is long since that I hacked my system to behave as I wish about
mounting, but none of it works any more since upgrading to Beowulf.

Bill

P.S. See attachments for a screenshot of the non-mounting SD card, as well as
two other files which I got from the web page mentioned above.

# file /etc/udev/rules.d/52-usb-memory.rules
#USB-Stick
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd?1", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/mount-usb.sh"
#!/bin/bash

# USB-Stick mounten
sleep 5
device=`dmesg | grep -e sd.: | tail -n 1 | sed -n 's/.*sd.:\s\+\?\(.*\)/\1/i p'`
name=`dmesg | grep -i product: | tail -n 1 | sed -n 's/.*product:\s\+\(.*\)/\1/i p' | sed -n 's/\ /_/g p'`

if [ ! -d /media/$name ]; then
    mkdir /media/$name
fi
mount /dev/$device /media/$name