Re: Konqueror & FAT32 --> system:/media/ is to blame

Anno domini 2021 Sun, 17 Jan 13:52:12 -0500
 BorgLabs - Kate Draven scripsit:
> On Sunday 17 January 2021, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Anno domini 2021 Sat, 16 Jan 19:41:35 -0800
> >
> >  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > The problem is that Linux systems in general seem to have a problem
> > > sometimes with mounting a flash drive or SD card, but only after they
> > > have been used in another device, such as a smartphone or a non-Linux
> > > system.
> > >
> > > I put a large music collection on a new SD card, for listening while I am
> > > outdoors walking, but when I went to change some of the items, now I find
> > > that my Linux system refuses to mount the drive. The same has happened
> > > with fat32 flash drives.
> > >
> > > This does not happen with other hard drives, such as an external hard
> > > drive that is formatted NTFS; only with fat32 flash drives or (I forget
> > > the filesystem here) SD cards.
> > >
> > > Also I believe that smartphones can really mess up the data on SD cards,
> > > as I had a lot of weirdness there. For example: a folder for one artist
> > > was instead filled with music from an entirely different artist. This
> > > could not have been a mistake on my part, as I have the originals, all
> > > tidy and organized, and the contents of the flash drive were first
> > > organized on a folder that resides in my desktop computer. Thus all I
> > > need to do is copy the contents of that folder to my SD card.
> > >
> > > It is only when I tried to copy the contents of that SD card to another
> > > location, then suddenly everything got messed up.
> > >
> > > So I believe that Kate might be onto something there, that formatting
> > > with Linux first could eliminate some of that mess.
> > >
> > > Bill
> > > Web mail archive available at
> > > https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinitydes
> > >ktop.org
> >
> > Looks like this is complints about FAT32 are not the cause of my
> > observations. Please see the attached screenshot: upper half of windows
> > uses system:/media/sdb and shows the describes malfuncions (i.e.: <del> not
> > working, no autorefresh), the lower half shows the very device but where
> > it's mounted in the filesystem as /media/toshiba and there it works as
> > expected (i.e.: <del> working and autorefresh working).
> >
> > So this is definitly a TDE problem. Is there a way to get rid of
> > "system:/media/" and just use the real mountpoint instead?
> >
> > Nik
>
> Ok I just checked out all the media* options and delete appears in all of
> them. What distro are you using. Try using a live CD and see what happens.

Which mount helper do you use? I have udisks2 here. I think I did not see that problem when I had pmount (but that had a different set of problems which I dislike more than that missing <del>.

Nik