Re: Mailing list etiquette [meta] top posting?

On Saturday 16 January 2021 21:04:32 Dan Youngquist via tde-users wrote:
> On 1/16/21 8:00 PM, Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> > What are the advantages of bottom posting? I can't fiugre them out to be
> > honest.
>
> The advantage is, you can trim all but the relevant line or two to which
> you're replying, and do that with multiple sentences/paragraphs if
> necessary, replying to each right along with the text to which you're
> replying, and have a nice neat post that's easy for anyyone to read and
> follow.  It even works well when it's helpful to include a couple layers of
> quotes for continuity, as long as you trim what's not relevant.
>
> Of course, it doesn't work when people don't bother to trim anything, and
> just add their 1 or 2 lines at the bottom of dozens and dozens of lines
> with 8 layers of completely irrelevant quotes, which makes it very
> difficult to read.

This puts us all in the position of trying to *reform* others, to break them
of their bad habits, rather than accepting the reality that people will
continue to behave the same way again and again and again and again and again
and again.

Why not try to work on getting me to exercise more, while you are at it, or to
stick to a healthier diet, or to stop smoking? Those are far more worthy
goals, in my opinion, and might actually succeed, as I do really want to
improve myself.

Bill