Re: Mailing list etiquette [meta] top posting?

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 09:23:34PM -0800, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> This puts us all in the position of trying to *reform* others, to break them
> of their bad habits, rather than accepting the reality that people will
> continue to behave the same way again and again and again and again and again
> and again.
>
> Why not try to work on getting me to exercise more, while you are at it, or to
> stick to a healthier diet, or to stop smoking? Those are far more worthy
> goals, in my opinion, and might actually succeed, as I do really want to
> improve myself.

It's no skin off my nose whether you weigh the same as a full-grown male
hippo, smoke thirty packs of cigarettes and drink a case of vodka every
day.

(If I were a tax payer in your country, and your country had full health
care, then *maybe* I would care about saving the buck or two that was my
share of your medical costs. But probably not. Kindness is cheap when
the cost is spread out widely enough.)

But if (generic) you post badly formatted text, I have to deal with it.
I have to read it, or decide that I can't be bothered reading it, and
delete it. Before I even read it, I have to download it, and while
data costs and storage costs are cheap, they are't *zero*.

And because I'm a big softy, I don't want to create a filter to just
dump (generic) your posts into the trash.

The bottom line is that what each of us does in our private lives is our
own business, but posting to a mailing list is a *community* activity
and affects us all.

Especially those using KMail, that makes it so easy to trim quoting.
Select the text you want gone and press delete. It's not giving up
smoking. (My wife went into a *two year* panic attack from quitting cold
turkey.)

No, I'm not going to call the (imaginary) Internet Cops onto (generic)
you, but if a little bit of respectful community pressure can't get you
to change your ways, and press the delete key a couple of times to trim
your quoting, well, that's sort of telling us how little (generic) you
value our time :-(

And just remember: this is a technical forum. Some of the people here
are techies, or halfling-techies, with all the arrogance and
condescension that entails. Do you really want to post like an ignorant
civilian here?

--
Steve